Thursday, October 15, 2015

Learn From My Mistakes

If you are like me and trying to make something happen for yourself, there's a couple things I want to pass on:

Don't force the blog, write the inspired blog.  The idea of the blog on my site is to keep it fresh in a very casual tone.  You want people to keep coming back.  That being said, don't write stupid.  I've done this, it's painful for everyone.  It is significantly harder write and truthfully, harder to read.  Don't do that to people, people are busy.  In the future, when I have nothing inspired to say, I will either quote someone else's inspired writing or try to do this; pass on something I learned.

Sometimes the hardest part is figuring stuff out.

I can draw suns and crap all day, but to design a website...pass the whiskey.  I feel that in the world wide web of websites there are some that are very well done up, the A-List and then there's stuff like mine, the B list website.  I am not a web designer, I am barely computer literate.  Come to find out, with the design I chose, to create a store would cost a shit ton of money.  At this point I am barely selling notecards and stationary, this does not equal 'shit ton of money' coming in.  Do your homework, get the site that will work for you.  It should be noted that the folks at Go Daddy are always very helpful even if my site isn't exactly what I want.  I should've done more research.  Here is an article I wish I had read before I started:

http://www.websitebuildertop10.com

Now my best option is to create an Etsy Shop.
To quote Etsy:
"More Money in Your Pocket
There are no membership fees with Etsy.
It costs $0.20 to list an item for 4 months, or until it sells.
Once you sell your item (congrats!), we collect a 3.5% fee on the sale price."

I want people to find me, so I am everywhere. No matter where you find me; Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, everything should funnel to the website, or where ever your product is.  Here are some videos to link Etsy, Twitter and Facebook.  There are a ton of these videos (but this first guy has a cool accent).  
Facebook & your website


Etsy


Put yourself out there.  Get business cards, take yourself seriously.  If you don't, no one else will.

Surround yourself with like minded people and inspire each other.  Here are some amazing women that are trying to make something happen for themselves.  For some of them, stuff is happening.  Check out their sites and see how they are doing it.

Remember: "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."  -Charles Caleb Colton
 
    Author Amelia Shea:  Ameliashea.net
    My yoga instructor:  Bansi Bee find her on her Etsy Shop Bansi Bee
    Janice Stevens:  http://photographybyjanice.com/
    Stephanie Jones:  www.papercanvasetc.com
 
Final bit of advice, don't get a cat.  Slows productivity.










When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
― Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment