Thursday, March 31, 2016

Work Smarter Not Harder

Here in South Carolina it is beautiful.  The sun is shining, everyone is running around in shorts and untanned legs.  As much as I wanted to get the blog out and implement my book writing/drawing plan, I also wanted to garden.  I know, it's too early.  I have another couple weeks before I'm out of the danger of frost.   I just can't help myself, it's the story of my life really, knowing better but saying "fuck it" anyway.  I should be inside typing or scratching out a picture listening to music, but here I am doing this:

The herb garden

“I laced up my sneakers, but not with the intention to sneak around. I was just going to skulk for a bit, when out of the blue I discovered my green thumb and ended up doing a bit of gardening. I really had no idea I was such a badass until that moment.” 
― Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE

While I was out there, trying to decide if I should move the shit I planted last year to new locations or put the seeds in the ground when I see an escapee of the feathered kind.  I could not, for the life of me, figure out how the chickens were getting out.  Jesse, who was helping, says, "They're going under the fence" all matter of factly -after all this time.  "Really?  Shit."  I say shaking my head in disbelief as he tells me that I need to put a quarter in the swear jar.  (I thought they were flying over,  you know, being birds.)   Being good chicken wardens we devised a plan. The little guy, a purple bucket, a wagon and plan.  It's just what we needed.

                      
I was hauling rocks to line the run with, in the purple bucket, trudging up and down the hill, telling myself it was as good as a workout.  When I see Jesse, drop his purple bucket and get the wagon.  As I watched him fill it up with the biggest rocks he could carry, I thought ahh....work smarter not harder.  Then I watched as that heavy, rock filled wagon dragged my boy down the hill.  You gotta hand it to him -he held on.  I was just glad he ended up behind it, not under it and not crying.  He hopped up, filthy, "Did you see that, Mom?"  (Again, I relinquish my "Mom Of The Month" nomination.)  He was right though, with a slight change of operation -it was my job to bring the rock filled wagon down the hill and his to drag it empty, back up.  We make a good team. 

Remember when I said I was going to mail off the baby elephant pictures and order the mum notecards?  Yeah, I lied about that, 'cause Spring Break.  That is now the plan for Monday.  Being that my sister ordered more notecards I better get it done.  OH!!  AND I made my own business cards and I love them (thank you Vista Print).  I hand them out willy nilly now.  Starting Monday I'm also going to implement the work harder not smarter idea and the new workout program.  Not today.  Today is Thursday and Spring Break.  

Here is your song, 'cause it was my song when we left Lowe's with our seeds and plants, singing loud and proud.

      

No comments:

Post a Comment