Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Music and Life

It takes my 15 year old daughter, Anna, and I 40-45 minutes to drive to her school.  We have to go through stand still, rush hour traffic on 385.  We listen to music and play the What Would You Do? game they do on Hot 98.1.  We pick our favorite cars.  I try to nonchalantly drill her about what's going on in her life.  "Speaking of muscle cars, are you and Nathan still in the 'talking' phase?"  or "Traffic is really slow this morning, have you ever been approached by any one to do drugs?"  The drive sounds like a pain in the butt, I know, but it isn't, I enjoy this time with her.  Even if she's pissed because I wouldn't let her wear a crop top and we don't speak the entire way.

Listening to this song Panda by Desiigner:

Me:  I don't even know what he is saying.
Anna:  You don't?
Me:  Well, I can sing this part (I trill my tongue and kind of say yah).
Anna:  Oh my God, mom.
Me:  I'm good right?  How about you sing the words part and I'll do the trill part and we can have like, a thing going.
Anna:  No.
Me: (I trill and huyuh again)
Anna:  MOM!
Me:  Did he just say salad bar?  Is he taking those broads in Atlanta to a salad bar?  That's nice.
Anna:  (Turns and blinks at me) No, mom, he did not say salad bar.
Me:  So, no salad bar for the broads in Atlanta, huh, that's too bad.  I mean, I'm not a fan of the salad bar either though.   Let's Google the lyrics so we can practice.
Anna:   We are not doing a thing, mom.
ME:  Who is your favorite these days?
Anna:  Wiz Khalifa. You will hate it.
Me:  Probably.  My mom didn't like my music either.  (I am familiar with Wiz because of my oldest, I keep this to myself.)  Okay,  I'll You Tube him, we'll find something of his.

She hops out of the car, I wish her a good day and tell her to take Jesus with her.  Some day she will appreciate my humor.  When I got home I You Tubed it (with the lyrics).  Indeed, there is no salad bar but definitely selling bar, candy.  I hate the music she listens too.  I feel like Panda is just repeating the same thing over and over again, maybe because he thinks he is so bad ass with his broads in Atlanta, his cars, drugs and money that he's has to say it 100 times.  (yawn.)  I get it.  You big.

I got broads in Atlanta
Twisting dope, lean, and the Fanta
Credit cards and scammers
Hitting off licks in the bando
Black X6, Phantom
White X6 looks like a panda
Going out like I’m Montana
Hundred killers, hundred hammers
Black X6, Phantom
White X6, panda
Pockets swole, Danny
(*)Selling bar, candy
Man I'm the mocho like Randy
The choppa go Oscar for Grammy
Bitch nigga pull up ya panty
Hope you killas understand me

*Sounds like salad bar.  The trill part, I nailed it.  I would tell you to listen to it, but I can't subject anyone to this on purpose.

My folks hated my music too.  Except once, we dodged a bullet, my sister and I were doing the dishes and we were listening to Prince's (new) Purple Rain album on the boom box when Darling Nikki came on.  My sister literally froze with her hands in the dish water.  My parents were watching TV, glad they weren't doing dishes and that we weren't fighting I guess, because they never noticed we were jamming to a song about masturbation.  Not a word was ever said.  Masturbation.  Not to say my folks weren't tuned in, my mom did call Sweet 98 when she heard the Rolling Stones belt out, "She's so cold, cold cold, she's so goddamn cold."  'Cause God's last name wasn't damn.   I was mortified; she used her full name.    

I want to talk to Anna about song writing and life.  What Queen did and The Who; Led Zeppelin was practically a 10 year phase sprinkled with Prince, Joan Jett, Metallica, Pink Floyd, the Beastie Boys... I could literally go on and on.  But then again, I am a rocker and my daughter is not -yet.  I need to fight fire with fire.

I hit up my sister and brother in law because this genre is their thing, he points me to NWA.  The next thing you know, I'm in this NWA rabbit hole.  40 minutes later I'm feelin' it Straight Outta Compton.  I (hip) hop across to Tupac.  (Which I am guaranteed certain death if I ever pronounce it again with a short a sound.)  I think what Desiigner is missing is actual lyrics.  I could say the same about queen B, however, I did practice my dance moves when he shoulda put a ring on it and I catch myself singing, "My mama don't like you..."  We had shit music too, remember the song Micky?  Rick Astley?  Baby Got Back?  The Thong song?

Research
 

Tomorrow, while we critique the driving skills displayed on 385 and try to choose between a Z4 and Crossfire I am armed with Tupac and NWA.  I have to say with teen's it's good to know where they are musically, it's a window.   If you don't know, ask.  I'm going to see her Desiigner and raise her with Tupac's Dear Mama.

7 comments:

  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf3jzDb4H7o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding to the playlist! Wu-Tang Clan Love it

      Delete
    2. Fun stuff 0 Old Dirty Bastard live and uncut :-)

      Delete
  2. Jackson made me listen to Panda and it was so much fun asking him about broads and the salad bar!! LOL He finally put on ELO. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete