Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's Resolutions

Seems like every 3 months or so I get a new notebook and a great pen.  I love a new notebook and fine tipped pen.  I then proceed to re-invent myself in this notebook.  Listing out things like my goals and great quotes.  I love a great quote.

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness.  I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you are wonderful, and don't forget to make some art.  And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself."
-No idea, I saw it on a poster on Facebook 

I also write down the things I want to try; someday I want to learn to play a fiddle...or maybe a banjo.  Places I want to go, I really want to go to that outlet mall on the way to Atlanta.  New Year's resolutions are nothing exciting for me because I do this shit all year long.  I thought, once, that maybe I should save NewYear's resolutions for the big stuff.  I tried to quit swearing.  I've tried to be a better person, you know, like a healthier one, but I like butter and cream.  I don't add "Go to Gym" because I already do that because of butter and cream.  I've said I was going to drink less alcohol, that was about as successful as the no swearing thing.

If you do make resolutions, I suggest you keep them to yourself.  Otherwise, you get that well meaning person who reminds you.  "You are having wine?  I thought you were cutting back?"  To which I answered, "The kids fought all damn day.  All.  Damn. Day.  They are not allowed to look at each other for the rest of the f'ing day.  This glass doesn't count."  2 resolutions gone in one fell swoop.  Actually 3, because I also tried to give up spitting and that conversation ended badly.  I'm not proud of it but it is unfortunately true, I'm a spitter.  At, towards or secretly as I stomp away.  My sister is one too, I think it's a gene.

Honestly, I think we should strive to be our best everyday, but also, forgive ourselves when we don't quite get there.  Sometimes our best is not great.  The other day, my best looked more like an attempt to hold the couch down with my whole body.

But sometimes, our best is glorious and we are unstoppable.  Go for the glorious.  I'm going to Google fiddle lessons in my area. 


   


No comments:

Post a Comment