Sunday, November 8, 2015

Mom

“When your mother asks, "Do you want a piece of advice?" it's a mere formality. It doesn't matter if you answer yes or no. You're going to get it anyway.” 
― Erma Bombeck

I absolutely love Erma Bombeck.  This woman did it.  I love everything she wrote.  She makes me think of my mother.  My mom.  I'm not about to wax on about how wonderful she is, she's my mom, she couldn't always be wonderful.  She raised all 6 of us to leave her house and live on our own.  We were never to be a doormat, nor a problem.  She raised us to be be accountable for ourselves, to pray,  and to handle our shit.  -Plus she had her own shit she was working out.
My mom did not have time for our opinions on her advice because she knew she knew better.  My mom is tough and very smart.  Sometimes I wish she saw herself as I see her.  So when she was here telling me what I should and shouldn't do with the art thing I do, the child/daughter in me protests while the adult/mother in me gets it and tries to be patient.  
My mom was just here for a "turn an' burn".  Meaning she was here for a very short time.  She traveled half a country for my daughter's confirmation and didn't stay for even 72 hours.  Not enough time, then again, maybe too much time because I still managed to piss her off.  This woman, who giggled with me over "loving wife and mother" because she gets it, also had a lot of advice about what I should do, should've already done and how I should do it.  My response was, "Damn." with maybe a little bucking.
First response aside, thinking further on it, she knows me and my potential and she wants me to do it, no excuses.  She doesn't want to hear the plan, she wants to see it.  She wants me to do what she thinks I can, even if she doesn't always say it in the kindest of ways.  Mom's...right?


My mom and Anna

As I type this, I just told my 8 year old to stop drinking stupid (he was drinking a Gatorade with his head tilted, pouring it down his cheek into the side of his mouth.  A red Gatorade.) I guess we all have those unkind moments.

The stuff I pissed her off about wasn't even related to the thing I'm doing.  It was past crap that all families have -no one gets out unscathed.  I should have kept my mouth shut, but I didn't. That past crap though, made me forget to thank her for being supportive of me and to my surprise, supportive of Janice.  The bff who, in mom's mind, had all the bad ideas since we were 12.  For the record, most of the bad ideas were mine, Janice is stalwart and unafraid.
However, she went on and on about how wonderful Janice's photography is and I quote, "...she really has an eye for it" as she scrolled through her Facebook page (Photography by Janice, the thing she does).  I could hardly believe my ears so I just reveled in it and couldn't wait to tell Janice.  This was huge.  But, alas, I pissed her off and missed my chance for a "moment" that she and I rarely get.
In that short time, I realized that my mom is right about a lot of the advice she gave me.  She was also right about leaving past crap where it belongs.  Sometimes I should maybe keep my mouth shut.  I'm telling you this because everyone needs someone like my mom in their "camp".
There is no way in hell I'm going to be in the same place I was, when she visited, the next time I see her.  I must show progress. God forbid, if I am in the same place with the same excuses I had the last time I saw her....this is not a situation I want to find myself.  We all need this accountability person.  The mugs I told her I wanted to do, are on order.  The notecards, done and available for purchase.  The notepads are in production.  Garden flags and trivets...okay not everything is done yet but, I'll see her at Christmas, so I have a little time.
I'd also like to to tell her I actually sold something to someone other than my sisters.  
Goals re-established.  Confidence in place.  Go get 'em.
Thanks mom.

You'll need a tissue.


Btw...I am actually in the studio...standby by for pictures.  Waiting (funnily enough) for the sun.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You really should write a book - I could read your stuff all day!

    ReplyDelete